Melbourne City-Based COVID-Aware Urban Experiences
Book your City excursion for 2021 Now
A Most Liveable City Walk
CBD Walk & Talk
Walk the streets of Melbourne’s CBD to see a different angle.
Students are encouraged to challenge their own assumptions and recognise the danger of single stories.
Through storytelling, students realise the strength of diversity in building a healthy city, especially in light of the events of 2020.
Explores homelessness, stereotypes, hierarchy, colonisation, power, addiction, connection and more…
- Unpacks and explores the nature of stereotypes and demonstrates that there is a danger in only hearing a single story.
- Uses storytelling to explore wealth and poverty in society and raises questions about the impact of hierarchy and systemic structural differences.
- Invites students to engage with civic life and see that their own health and wellbeing is tied in to the health and wellbeing of those around them.
- Curriculum matched to Civics and Citizenship, Geography and Health.
In a hands-on, interactive workshop students are encouraged to ask: What is empathy?
What happens when we empathise with people different to us? How does it change us and our society?
Experientially transform your perspective, your school, your community and our world.
- Engages students in facilitated discussion and critique around empathy, exploring it as a powerful tool for creating a healthy society.
- Challenges students’ interactions with others, both similar and different from themselves.
- Reflect on, unpack and critique their assumptions and observe where these have impacted society.
- Includes tactile and cooperative problem solving activities.
* Please note that all prices shown are in AUD and exclude GST. Please contact us if class sizes present a challenge.
Stream the Neighbour CBD
City Panel Experience
Enables students to have a streamed conversation with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences of marginalisation, with a live presenter in our city venue.
By connecting with people we may have assumptions about, students realise that these people are more than just stereotypes, they are our neighbours and we are all connected.
NB Students must participate in A Most Liveable City or Empathy Workshop prior to this session.
- A facilitated empathic experience for students to encounter multiple perspectives on issues and topics discussed.
- Student will interact with our in-person presenter and with “Neighbours” who have life experiences or expert knowledge of areas including marginalisation, homelessness, drugs & alcohol, mental health and LGBTQIA+
- Invites and challenges students to see that difference of opinion comes from each person's lived experience and it is this difference that makes our society healthy.
- Hosted in our CBD venue. Also available online/in schools
The Intersection is a non-profit social enterprise in the heart of the city of Melbourne. We exist to create social change by educating about empathy, diversity and connection. Our primary tools are story-based city walks, interactive workshops, and facilitated ‘intersections’.
These experiences can be delivered online (using Zoom or WebEx), in your classroom, camp or venue, or as part of an excursion to the Melbourne CBD.
Homelessness, addiction and racism are symptoms of a deeper problem of disconnection. At The Intersection we challenge you to meet ‘the other’, because empathy, diversity and connection are vital to creating a liveable city for everyone.
Our sessions are primarily designed for schools, but can be tailored for workplaces, churches, non-profit organisations and community groups, anybody who wants to learn more about the margins of our city or increase their empathy.
We believe empathy, diversity & connection
will create a healthy society
“Thank you for your informative and interactive Intersection presentation to our Padua VCAL students yesterday !
The students developed a further insight into the issues of homelessness in Melbourne from the session, as we start working on our community issue topics this semester.”
Stay in Touch via Email
We will send you occasional emails with session updates and special offers.